Built in 1971, the Class of 1949 Generational Bridge extends Locust Walk safely over 38th Street, and pays homage to the legacy of the committed alumni and friends who have made Penn what it is today.
While the bridge has undergone minor updates and refinements throughout the years, it has stood the test of time, and has ultimately become deeply ingrained into the very fabric of Penn.
In 1974, the bridge was named the Class of 1949 Bridge, in recognition of the class’s 25th reunion and class gift.
In 2001, the bridge was dedicated as the Generational Bridge and Women’s Walkway as part of the Celebration of 125 Years of Women at Penn. Since the 2001 dedication, The Trustees Council of Penn Women (TCPW) has been an active advocate for the Class of 1949 Generational Bridge and the Penn legacy it represents.
In 2014, the bridge underwent its most substantial renovation to date. The University’s priority was to preserve the history and tributes inscribed while ensuring that future generations of graduates would carry on the tradition of crossing over the bridge on their way to commencement.