The Central Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) works with administrators, faculty, and development staff across the University to build and sustain relationships with private and corporate foundations that support Penn’s teaching, research, and service mission. In particular, we cooperate closely with the Office of the Vice Provost for Research, the Office of Research Services, and other departments of Development and Alumni Relations, to make effective, coordinated, fully authorized approaches to institutional philanthropies on behalf of the University’s priorities.
Faculty & Staff Seeking Funding
In addition to coordinating and clearing approaches to sponsors (“traffic control”), we can assist your approach in a number of ways. We can:
- Identify and provide research on appropriate funding sources;
- Brainstorm ways to turn a great idea into a fundable project;
- Draft, review, and edit letters of inquiry, concept papers, and proposals;
- Facilitate preparation of project budgets by coordinating efforts of business administrators and Office of Research Services;
- Gather required supporting institutional documentation and draft and secure letters of support from institutional leadership;
- Coordinate proposal submission;
- Assist with timely reporting throughout the duration of a grant; and
- Coordinate site visits for potential and current funders.
Central CFR is committed to maximizing institutional support for the University. To that end, we focus on identifying and securing external funding to advance institutional priorities identified by the President, Provost, and Deans.
We work with schools, centers, institutes, and individual faculty to provide timely information about funding opportunities and potential partnerships with the private and philanthropic sectors. Moreover, we seek to promote collaborative relationships with external organizations that support and expand Penn’s research, teaching and community engagement programs, while bringing mutual benefit to Penn and our philanthropic partners.